I know when I was a kid, there was nothing I liked more than a P.A. Day or a long weekend. The idea of not having to go to school for the day was a wonderful proposition and while the advent of Family Day came long after my days of recess and peanut butter sandwiches, I can certainly identify with a long weekend.
Unfortunately, while I am sure your kids are looking forward to the upcoming long weekend, you must be stressing out over how to keep them occupied.
Don’t worry, we’re here to help. Here are a list of things you can do this weekend to keep the little ones busy:
– ArtZOO: Kingston’s ArtZOO is a free cultural event that offers tons of art activities specifically designed for Family Day. The event takes place at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour (53 Yonge St., Kingston ON) in Kingston where families can try their hand at arts and crafts including wax sculpture, graffiti and performances. The event takes place on Feb. 18. For more information, check out Kingstongrand.ca
– Blue Mountain Family Day Weekend: For those families that are a little more adventurous, Blue Mountain offers a full three-day package that includes falconry displays, wagon rides and skiing. You can also get a guided snowshoe tour, skate on the Old Mill pond, or check out the Aquatic Centre. For more information, including pricing, check out BlueMountainVillage.ca
– Cobourg Winter Festival: After a month of family fun festivities, the final weekend of Cobourg’s winter festival features horse-drawn wagon rides, oudoor music, interactive ice displays, curling, and even a polar bear dip! For more information, check out CobourgTourism.ca
– Kortright Centre For Conservation: Parents without plans in Woodbridge, don’t worry. The Kortright Centre (9550 Pine Valley Dr., Woodbridge ON) hosts a special Family Day programme that includes a winter hike, snowman building and plenty of hot chocolate. Get there early and enjoy a pancake breakfast. For more information, check out trca.on.ca
– McMichael Centre for Canadian Art: A hotspot for families every Sunday, the McMichael Centre turns it up a notch for Family Day. The Shoestring Opera performs its version of Bizet’s Carmen. There’s also a puppet workshop, a storytelling circle and a children’s short film festival. For more information, check out McMichael.com