The Maple Leaf Monster Jam Tour officially arrives at the Rogers Centre (1 Blue Jays Way, Toronto ON) tomorrow and Sunday bringing some of the largest motor vehicles in the world with it.
Today, the Weekendtrips team got an exclusive preview of what to expect before the mud pit officially opens up on Saturday. I caught up with Calgary’s Cam McQueen, who not only drives the newest Monster Truck around but also happens to steer the only Canadian four-wheeler on the circuit, “Northern Nightmare.”
McQueen started racing in 2008 and in his debut season with the Canuck Truck, managed to make everyone in the industry remember his name by taking home the World Finals Freestyle Championship last year.
We chatted about his love of driving, his dream job, how he got started and of course, what to expect this weekend. He also reveals what he does on his Weekendtrips when he isn’t working Monster Jam events.
Check out the video below:
Before you check out our photo gallery in for our exclusive weekend event, here are some fun Monster Jam facts that you need to know before you park yourself in one of the blue Rogers Centre seats this weekend.
Monster Jam Fun Facts
- Monster Trucks cost approximately $250,000. We’ll start saving for our Weekendtrips branded bad boy!
- Truck engines are custom-built, burning through up to 2.5 gallons of methanol per run. Motor size is limited to 575 cubic feet of displacement and engines cost approximately $50,000.
- The enormous Monster Truck tires are manufactured by Goodyear and Firestone and measure 66 inches high by 43 inches wide. Cutting one tire takes 50 hours and cost approximately $2600 each.
- Airbrushing logos and artwork to the fiberglass body of each truck costs about $5000 for each car
- The Monster Jam course that Toronto fans will see this weekend is built by a crew of eight people. The course takes approximately 60 hours to construct.
- My shoes were definitely muddy after leaving the pit and that’s because over 3500 cubic yards of dirt were used to transform the Rogers Centre into the ultimate speedway. Each year 700,000 yards of dirt is used for Monster Jam events.
- More than 4 million people attend Monster Jam events in North America and Europe each year.
The Rogers Centre Monster Jam shows run Saturday January 19 at 7 p.m. and Sunday January 20 at 2 p.m. The tour will also make stops in Albany, NY (January 18-19), Uniondale, NY (January 25-26), Rockford, Il (February 1-2), Peoria, Il (February 1-2), Rosemont, Il (February 8-10), London, ON (February 16-17), Saginaw, MI (February 22-23), Syracuse, NY (March 9), Grand Rapids, MI (March 15-17), Hamilton, ON (April 6-7). To see a complete list of tour dates, check out MonsterJam.com/events
Where To Get Monster Jam Tickets For The Weekend?
Ticket prices start at $20 for adults and $15 for Pizza Pizza kids tickets for kids aged 12 and under. You can also purchase special pit party passes for $10 that allow you to see the trucks up close, meet the drivers and take photos.
The pit party takes place two hours before each show. Tickets can be purchased online at Ticketmaster.ca or by calling (855) 985-5000. There are special TAP and Gold Circle tickets available at $130 and $52 respectively.