If you visit DC this weekend, be sure to make time for a visit to the National Zoo. The eyes of the world are on the newborns – a giant panda was born here, and two rare Sumatran tigers recently joined the zoo’s family. You can see the newborns on a webcam, but if you’re lucky enough to be at the zoo in person here are five things you won’t want to miss:
1) The Asia Trail is home to many of the headline-grabbing animals at the zoo. The Giant Pandas live here, along with the red panda that caused a ruckus when he enjoyed a short-lived escape from his enclosure. Orangutans, cranes, and a Komodo dragon add to this exotic exhibit.
2) Let the good times roar at the Great Cats exhibit. Lions and tigers call this area home, and scientists do outstanding research that helps big cats around the world.
3) The Reptile Discover Center will frighten and amaze you. See 70 species of reptiles and amphibians the way you want to see them: behind thick glass.
4) Enjoy some hands-on time with animals at the zoo’s Kids’ Farm. Alpacas, goats, pigs and others await their turn to greet you.
5) See the animals in a less realistic way with a ride on the new Conservation Carousel. This solar-powered carousel hosts realistic models of 58 species, so you can speed away on your favorite.
Admission to the zoo is free – another thing that makes it an enjoyable DC landmark!