Picture this: vine-covered hills, a stunning landscape, and relaxing while tasting a great glass of wine. These elements make for a perfect romantic escape – and can be found not far from New York City.
Millbrook Vineyards and Winery (26 Wing Road, Millbrook NY) is located in a majestically renovated dairy barn, sitting on top of a vine-covered hill, about two hours north of NYC.
A favorite destination in the area, Millbrook Winery offers tours of its vineyard and a chance to taste of some of its award-winning wines.
There are two experiences to choose from: the Portfolio Sampler, which includes 6 wine tastings, an olive oil sample, biscuits and a take-home souvenir wine glass, all for $10. Monday-Thursday, tours are organized as guests arrive, and Friday through Sunday they are conducted every half hour from 12-4pm.
For a more in-depth experience, try 5 premium, top-tier wines in a Reserve Tasting ($25), taking place every hour from 1-4pm, Thursdays through Sundays May to November, and Saturdays and Sundays only from December through May. Reservations are recommended, as there are only 8 spots per Reserve Tasting.
There is also a short (half-mile) walking trail on site, which ends at a picnic table site, open from May through October, with a scenic view of both the winery and the Shawangunk and Catskill mountains in the distance.
Getting to the winery is easy, especially between June 1 and the end of October, when there is a shuttle service from the Metro North train station (the Vineyard Express Shuttle Service is $25 and has to be reserved in advance).
While you are in Millbrook, check out some of the other attractions in the area, including Innisfree Gardens, the quirky and unique Wing Castle, or the Trevor Zoo.
- Enjoy with: Your sweetheart/significant other! Also great with a group of friends.
- Admission: Tastings are $10 for Portfolio Sampler, $25 for Reserve Tasting
- Hours: Open daily from 12-5pm. Monday through Thursday tours are organized as guests arrive, and Friday through Sunday they are every half hour, from 12-4pm. The winery is open year-round, and October or any fall weekend is one of the best times to visit, just keep in mind it also tends to be the busiest.
- Visitor tips: Bring your own picnic! The cafeteria can be a bit overpriced, but there is plenty of room here for your own private outdoor dinning experience.
- For more information or to book a tour visit the official website for Millbrook Vineyards and Winery.
What’s your favorite weekend wine-tasting trip? Share your comments below.
Find this author on twitter @MirabelVega.